How to Boost Testosterone Naturally to Maximize Muscle Gains
Last Updated: Feb 2, 2018
In this article we take a look at the most effective natural ways to boost testosterone production in your own body. The more testosterone your body produces, the more muscle mass you will be able to build, so any serious lifter should look for ways to improve their lifestyle for optimal/normal testosterone (and other hormone) levels.
If you know anything about building muscle then you should understand the critical importance testosterone has on your body's ability to build lean muscle mass. As well as increasing your ability to build muscle size and strength, the testosterone hormone has other benefits to good men's health such as:
- Reduces body fat levels
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Increases sexual performance and sex drive
- Improves your general mood
- Protects against heart disease
- Increases your overall energy
- Balances blood sugar levels in the body
What Exactly Is Testosterone?
It is a steroid hormone which is made by the testes of males and the ovaries of females. The adrenal glands also secrete a small amount of testosterone. Testosterone is the main male sex hormone, and in both males and females it is a part of maintaning overall health and well being. For example, it increases libido, immune function, energy levels, and protects against the disease osteoporosis. An average male will produce approximately 8 to 10 times the amount of testosterone than an average female.
How to Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally
- Focus on the compound exercises. If you are training properly for muscle gain then you most probably already do this. The compound lifts will cause your body to be placed under the most amount of stress, and this releases and promotes the most amount of testosterone production in your body.Training hard and heavy with key compound lifts staples like squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, lunges and presses promotes testosterone production in the body.
- Eat more Essential Fatty Acids. Your nutrition should consist of healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, flax seed oil, olive oil, and canola oil. These types of healthy fats are proven to boost testosterone levels.
- Eat cruciferous vegetables. These types of vegetables are known to lower estrogen levels in the body, therefore raising testosterone. Some examples include broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage.
- Limit soy consumption. Foods containing soy will increase estrogen in your body, which is something you do not want for natural testosterone production and building muscle. If your estrogen is increased, that means testosterone is decreased. So,aim not to eat too much food containing soy products - unfortunately soy has crept into so many foods so you gotta be careful.
- Limit alcohol intake.Drinking alcohol is known to decrease testosterone, so try to avoid it as much as you can, especially binge drinking nights. You need to balance your life and diet though, so allow yourself alcohol in low moderation if you're serious about results.
- Get enough sleep every night. If you don't give your body adequate amounts of quality deep sleep this will raise cortisol levels in your body which in turn lowers your testosterone. There are also other reasons why sleep is key to normal levels of testosterone and other hormones in the body.